Submissions for NW Dance Project’s 2017 Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition will begin being accepted in January 2017.
Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition
In the beginning of each year, NW Dance Project announces our call for entries for our annual Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition to identify two emerging choreographers who will have an opportunity to create an original work during our annual summer LAUNCH project.
NW Dance Project is committed to working with artists of diverse experiences and backgrounds, and utilizes our Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition as a way to help develop voices in dance.
Selected choreographers will participate in a six-day summer residency during our acclaimed LAUNCH project in July. During the residency period, selected choreographers will be offered two 3-hour daily creative periods with each of the two groups of dancers during which they will have an open forum to create and develop new choreographic material.
An informal presentation of the resulting “works-in-progress” or completed works will be performed in our public showing at Lincoln Performance Hall. Choreographers will be asked to work with all our LAUNCH dancers, but the developed piece can be set on a smaller group of dancers. Northwest Dance Project’s Artistic Director, Sarah Slipper, will help guide this residency.
DVDs of each choreographer’s work will be provided.
Pretty Creatives residency includes:
- Creative honorarium
- 6 days of rehearsal time with dancers (18 hours each group total)
- Travel to and from Portland, per diem, and hotel accommodations
- Public presentation in theater setting
- Professionally filmed video of the performed work
To apply for consideration, choreographers must send (there is no application form):
- DVD or online links (Vimeo is VERY much preferred) of/to video(s) of recent choreographic work (one or multiple works, not to exceed 10 minutes in total length – please do not submit highly edited material).
- Current résumé or CV plus choreographic biography.
- Brief proposal (no longer than one page) of choreographic intent, which may include style of dance, number of dancers, musical selection, length, scope, format, etc. (non-binding).
- $40 application fee (in US Dollars – US check or bank draft payable to NWDP, or paid on-line). If paying online, please pay prior to submission and indicate on-line payment in your materials (and don’t forget to include your video link[s]). A payment link will be made available when submissions begin being accepted in January.
If sending your submission electronically, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org and pay the submission fee on-line. Please include, CV, proposal and link(s).
If sending your physical submission, please send to:
NW Dance Project
PO Box 42488
Portland, OR 97242