CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR PRETTY CREATIVES WINNERS
Banning Boulding + Yoshito Sakuraba and our Residency Award Winner, Bryan Diaz Arias
Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition
At the start of each calendar year, Northwest Dance Project announces a call for entries for our Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition to identify two emerging choreographers who will have an opportunity to create an original work during our annual summer LAUNCH project.
Northwest Dance Project is committed to working with artists of diverse experiences and backgrounds, and utilizes our Pretty Creatives Project as a way to help develop new voices in dance.
Selected choreographers will participate in a six-day summer residency during our LAUNCH: 10 project. During the residency period, selected choreographers will be offered two 3-hour daily creative periods with each of the two groups of dancers during which they will have an open forum to create and develop new choreographic material. An informal presentation of the resulting “works-in-progress” or completed works will be shown at Lincoln Performance Hall on July 18 / 2015 at 7:30PM and is open to the public. Choreographers will be asked to work with all our LAUNCH dancers, but the developed piece can be set on a smaller group of dancers. Northwest Dance Project’s Artistic Director, Sarah Slipper, will help guide this residency.
The July 13 -18 / 2015 residency includes:
- Creative honorarium
- 6 days of rehearsal time with the dancers (18 hours each group total)
- Travel to and from Portland, per diem and hotel accommodation
- Public presentation in theater setting
To apply for consideration, choreographers will be required to send (there is no application form):
- DVD or online links (Vimeo is preferred) to video(s) of recent choreographic work
(one or multiple works, not to exceed 10 minutes – please do not submit highly edited material)
- Current résumé plus choreographic biography
- Brief proposal (no longer than one page) of choreographic intent, which may include style of dance, number of dancers, musical selection, length, scope, format, etc.
- $35 application fee (in US Dollars – US check or bank draft payable to NWDP, or paid on-line +$5). If paying online, please pay prior to submission and indicate on-line payment in your materials (and don’t forget to include video link(s).