Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition
At the start of each year, NW Dance Project announces our call for entries for our annual Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition to identify two emerging choreographers who will have an opportunity to create an original works during our annual summer LAUNCH project.
NW Dance Project is committed to working with artists of diverse experiences and backgrounds, and utilizes our Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition as a way to discover and help develop voices in dance.
Both selected choreographers will participate in a six-day summer residency (July 10-15, 2017) during our acclaimed LAUNCH project in July. During the residency, the two winning choreographers will be provided with two three-hour daily creative periods with each of the two groups of dancers during which they will have an open forum to create and develop new choreographic material.
Choreographers will be asked to work with all our LAUNCH dancers, but the developed piece can be set on a smaller group of dancers. NW Dance Project’s Artistic Director, Sarah Slipper, will help guide this residency.
The resulting “works-in-progress” or completed works will be performed in a public showing at Lincoln Performance Hall on July 15.
Each choreographer will be provided with professional videos on their work(s).
Please see “Application” tab for more information.
Pretty Creatives residency includes:
- Creative honorarium
- 6 days of rehearsal time with dancers (18 hours with each group total)
- Travel to and from Portland, per diem, and hotel accommodations
- Public presentation in theater setting
- Professionally filmed video of the performed work
Applications open JAN 1, 2017. Deadline to receive submissions is MAR 31.
To apply for consideration, choreographers must send (there is no application form):
- DVD or online links (Vimeo is VERY much preferred) of/to video(s) of recent choreographic work (one or multiple works, not to exceed 10 minutes in total length – please do not submit highly edited material).
- Current résumé or CV plus choreographic biography.
- Brief proposal (no longer than one page) of choreographic intent, which may include style of dance, number of dancers, musical selection, length, scope, format, etc. (non-binding).
- $40 application fee (in US Dollars – US check or bank draft payable to NWDP, or paid on-line). If paying online, please pay prior to submission and indicate on-line payment in your materials (and don’t forget to include your video link[s]). A payment link will be made available when submissions begin being accepted in January.
If sending your physical submission, please send to:
NW Dance Project
PO Box 42488
Portland, OR 97242
A $40 USD check or money order (written on a U.S. Bank) can be sent with mailed submissions.