Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition
Submissions to NW Dance Project’s 2020 Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition are open.
Deadline: March 31, 2020.
For submissions info, please see the see APPLICATION tab.
At the start of each year, NW Dance Project announces our call for entries for our annual Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition to identify two emerging choreographers who will have an opportunity to create original works during our annual summer LAUNCH project.
NW Dance Project is committed to working with artists of diverse experiences and backgrounds, and utilizes our Pretty Creatives International Choreographic Competition as a way to discover and help develop voices in contemporary dance. Previous winners include Maurice Causey, Loni Landon, Lauren Edson, Pedro Dias, James Gregg, Marina Mascarell, Gregory Dolbashian, Hanna Kiel, Robyn Mineko-Williams, Alex Soares, Simone Orlando, Rachel Erdos, Yin Yue, Eric Handman, Yoshito Sakuraba, Banning Bouldin, Luca Signoretti, Anton Rudakov, Alysa Pires, Alice Klock, Lesley Telford, Kristen Céré, Menghan Lou, Kaloyan Boyadjiev, and Joseph Hernandez.
Both selected choreographers will participate in a six-day summer residency during our acclaimed LAUNCH project in July. During the residency, the two winning choreographers will be provided with two three-hour daily creative periods with each of the two groups of dancers during which they will have an open forum to create and develop new choreographic material.
Choreographers will be asked to work with all our LAUNCH dancers, but the developed piece can be set on a smaller group of dancers. NW Dance Project’s Artistic Director, Sarah Slipper, will help guide this residency.
The resulting “works-in-progress” or completed works will be performed in a public showing at Lincoln Performance Hall.
Each choreographer will be provided with professional videos on their work(s).
Please see “Application” tab for more information.
Pretty Creatives residency includes:
- Creative honorarium
- 6 days of rehearsal time with dancers (18 hours with each group total)
- Travel to and from Portland, per diem, and hotel accommodations as needed
- Public presentation in theater setting
- Professionally filmed video of the performed works
Applications open JAN 1. Deadline to receive submissions is MAR 31.
There is no application form. To apply for consideration, choreographers must pay a $40 submission fee and send (email via post):
- DVD or online links (Vimeo is VERY much preferred) of/to video(s) of recent choreographic work (one or two works only, not to exceed 10 minutes in total length – please do not submit highly edited or self-danced material).
- Current résumé, CV, or choreographic biography.
- Brief proposal (no longer than one page) of choreographic intent, which may include style of dance, number of dancers, musical selection, length, scope, format, etc. (non-binding).
- $40 USD application fee prior to sending your submission. Pay HERE.
Please e-mail complete submission (CV, proposal, links) to email@example.com or mail to:
NW Dance Project
PO Box 42488
Portland OR 97242