Born and raised in Portland, Charlene Hannibal trained at The School of Oregon Ballet Theatre for over a decade until joining the company in 1999. In 2002, her career brought her to the San Francisco Bay Area, where she was a principal dancer with Company C Contemporary Ballet. She has been a guest artist with The Oakland Ballet, Amy Seiwert’s Imagery and Berkeley City Ballet. She re-connected with Sarah Slipper in 2005 while participating in NW Dance Project’s LAUNCH. Charlene has performed the works of Antony Tudor, Twyla Tharp, Amy Seiwert, Paul Taylor, Charlie Anderson, Thaddeus Davis, Michael Smuin, James Canfield, Paul Vasterling, David Parsons, Patrick Corbin and Gregory Dawson.
Charlene is a classically trained pianist, and graduated Cum Laude with a degree in English from UC Berkeley.
A certified yoga instructor since 2001, she has taught hundreds of classes throughout Portland and the Bay Area. She is also a prolific Gokhale Method teacher, an anthropological posture methodology aimed at helping those with back pain.
Charlene has been teaching ballet since 2000 and has taught for NW Dance Project, Marin Dance Theatre, Berkeley City Ballet, Portland Festival Ballet, San Francisco Dance Center, Post:Ballet, BodyVox and Oregon Ballet Theatre. Charlene serves as NW Dance Project’s Youth Ballet Program Director.
Take class with Charlene
- Youth Ballet - Monday / 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Youth Ballet - Monday / 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Youth Ballet - Tuesday / 3:45 pm - 4:45 pm
- Youth Pre-Pointe - Tuesday / 6:15 pm - 6:45 pm
- Youth Ballet - Tuesday / 4:45 pm - 6:15 pm
- Youth Ballet - Wednesday / 4:00 pm - 5:15 pm
- Youth Pointe - Wednesday / 6:45 pm - 7:45 pm
- Youth Ballet - Wednesday / 5:15 pm - 6:45 pm
- Youth Pointe - Thursday / 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm
- Youth Ballet - Thursday / 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Youth Ballet - Friday / 4:45 pm - 6:00 pm
- Youth Ballet - Saturday / 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Youth Pointe - Saturday / 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm